Keeping up with the ever-changing world of social media

If you are an avid follower of WILD’s communications, then you’re familiar with the ways that we share our updates. We post directly to our Talking WILD Blog, eLeaf newsletter, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, Flickr, Vimeo, YouTube…and who knows what else is in our future! The world of social media and digital communications is always evolving. We have some exciting work going on and we don’t want you to miss out on anything.

Here’s some unfortunate news. We at WILD have been concerned about our Facebook fan reach and activity levels dropping. Were we not posting engaging content? Were there some new changes in Facebook’s algorithm happening that we didn’t know about? Were we doing something wrong? Now we have an answer: Facebook has begun to slowly decline the overall organic reach of their brand pages. You can read about it here.

What this means: unless we pay to promote each of our posts, only a fraction of our fans will see what we share. “We’re getting to a place where because more people are sharing more things, the best way to get your stuff seen if you’re a business is to pay for it,” says a Facebook spokesperson. Makes sense, right? But when you are a nonprofit organization, this is no easy feat. And what about those of you who chose to like our page so they could get updates about our conservation work?

As you may know, WILD is a very lean 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. 95% of our funds go directly to our programs, and the remaining 5% goes to administrative & fundraising costs. We, regrettably, do not have the extra money in our budget to spend on constantly promoting our daily posts on Facebook. We hope that the folks behind Facebook will understand this and somehow find some ways to support the active nonprofits on this platform.

But for now, here’s what you can do to continue seeing our updates on Facebook:

On The WILD Foundation page, hover over where it says “Liked” (or “Like” if you haven’t yet!), and check these options:

  1. “Get Notifications” to get a notification when we share a post (we keep these minimal!)
  2. “Add to Interest Lists” so you can see more of our posts separate from your main Newsfeed. You may need to create one first: www.facebook.com/help/interest-lists

There’s many ways to stay involved with WILD, and we need your help making sure we can get our messaging out there. We urge you to not only follow us on the listed sites, but be active! Comment, like, share, retweet, favorite, forward and talk about our conservation work. The more activity, the more our updates will be seen. And talk to us- we love feedback! We want to make sure we’re doing the best we can to communicate our programs and important updates. For any comments or questions, don’t hesitate to contact me: melanie@wild.org.

Follow The WILD Foundation: Talking WILD BlogeLeaf newsletter

Instagram_30

0 Comments (Post Comment)

Post your Comment here

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *