Uniting East-West Conservation for Stronger Wilderness
(Watch this page for dates and host city!)
Millions of people on 5 continents empowered by a wilder world…
and we’re just getting started.
WILD11 is a bold enterprise tackling threats to our wild Earth. It's about people, not institutions, and unity, not one-upmanship.
WHAT WE DO
The World Wilderness Congress unites the best of all social sectors – government, business, academia, media, and the arts – both traditional and modern – around an ongoing problem-solving process that creates new opportunities to protect our wild Earth and the people who most rely on it – all of us!
The WILD China Project began recently, and we have been collaborating closely with Chinese and global partners to determine if the 11th World Wilderness Congress (WILD11) would assist China and global conservation needs within the next few years. The resounding answer was yes (!), and now planning has begun on practical objectives…lots of action! As a result, our senior Chinese colleagues are now applying for the necessary political approval(s) from the central authority, the China Communist Party (CPC).
AS PART OF THE WILD11 PROCESS:
- The first peer-reviewed journal themed on wilderness, China Journal of Landscape Architecture, June 2017: Rui Yang editorial and Vance G. Martin article
- The first China Wilderness Inventory saying it was completed as part of the WILD11 process, published in China Journal of Landscape Architecture in June 2017, and the English translation will be in the August 2018 issue of the International Journal of Wilderness.
- Article on wilderness in the first edition of the first publication in China dedicated to “Eco-civilization”
- Global Exhibition of Wilderness and Wildlife Art
WILD11 OBJECTIVES & METHODS
Grounded in existing strong North-South relationships, WILD11 is laying the essential groundwork for more effective conservation partnerships between the East-West. Working with hundreds of partners across dozens of countries, we aim to make important breakthroughs that:
– Strengthen leadership capacity to effectively address the most pressing conservation issues of our time.
– Support China in seeking international partnerships that will make possible more effective and comprehensive protections for wild nature.
– Lay the groundwork for collective impact that will keep Earth wild now and in the future.
And we need your help to make the most of this historic conservation opportunity!